Have you ever stopped to consider if you are living your life according to the stark truth around us? Or, are you surrounding yourself with false comforts to ignore reality and live in a dream world?
As Christians, we need to be steadfast and awake to the truth of the reality around us.
- Media, academia and government are telling us that God does not exist and to rely on ourselves.
- Baptisms and Confirmations are up statistically, yet Church attendance, marriages and belief in core Church doctrines are at all-time lows.
- Abortion is killing 40 – 50 Million innocent human beings each year.
- Many western and formerly Catholic/Christian countries are re-defining marriage.
- Men and women attempting to change their sex.
- Islam is considered peaceful yet Christians are being murdered, raped, displaced and sold into slavery based on the teachings of Muhammad.
- The West and China has an obesity problem while many parts of the world lack the necessary food they need.
And the list could go on.
We Christians need to wake up from our slumber, or at least our comfort with such evils in our society. We are the bearers of the Truth. The Truth does not change, it cannot change. Truth is immovable but our understanding of the Truth matures and grows as the Holy Spirit reveals it to us.
For the Christian, Truth is not some relativistic abstract concept but rather Truth is a person – Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me” (John 14:6).
To Pontus Pilate Christ said, “For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth, heareth my voice” (John 18:37). Christ is also speaking to us. Are we hearing Christ’s voice?… Or are we listening to other voices?… If we are hearing His voice, what are we doing to proclaim and uphold the Truth?
It is time for us to wake up from this dream and to turn the tide from illusion and chaos back to reason, Truth and Christ.
May God instill in you all the zeal and gifts that were given to you at your Baptism and Confirmation.